Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Digital Life

 
Image courtesy of: Frenzy of Noise

The advance of technology intrudes people's lives in many ways. I am not a computer-addict because I feel dizzy after using computer for a while. I do not like using computer, listening to songs or playing NDS and PSP. However, I do use digital technologies to connect with my friends and for its functions. Like other college students, I have a smartphone to communicate with friends in many ways. I really like my smartphone because it allows me to check email, browse Facebook and chat with my friends through what's app. It also helps me by providing information of the best restaurants when I go out and also the location via Google Map.

Although I use my phone to access to the internet every day, some friends say I am almost invisible in Facebook. It's because I think Facebook exposes too many privacy and thus I blocked people from viewing my photos. I like Facebook because it allows you to know your friends' lives but it is sometimes very annoying to see certain people updating their Facebook a few times a day. It gives me a strange feeling also- I am not very close with those friends but it seems like I know them very well. It is good that facebook has a function that you can unsubscribe your friends' news or hide your information. Sometimes distance gives you the sense of security and freedom. Right?

Apart from Facebook, the other website that I browse most frequently is Taobao. I think many girls know it very well. it is a mainland online shopping website, which has similar functions as eBay. However, the price is much cheaper. I have a list of favourite shops and I check it out every day. Payment is made by credit card online. It usually takes less than a week for the parcel to arrive at your door. I do admit that I am obsessed with Taobao as it offers millions of clothes that are less than 100 dollars. I don't like going shopping in shopping malls anymore.

Although I do not like using computer, I still use it for its functions and convenience. I think in this course I will learn how to media change people's life. How writing online and be shared by different people in the world. I also hope that writing regularly will help me to improve my writing skills. Haha!

2 comments:

  1. True for me too!! I always use my phone or ipod touch to access the internet!
    And I would only use laptop when I have some word processing work to do! So society changes a lot already! In terms of technologies and social media :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie! :D Do you have a desktop at home? I've realised that desktop is not so popular because people found it's more convenient to own a laptop themselves- that can save space, as well as protect privacy.

    ReplyDelete